The United Kingdom has one of the biggest mobile-phone markets in the world. The ever growing population of the UK is one of the factor behind this increased market share. People are always opting for better smartphones that can help them in various aspects of life. That is the sole reason that people these days in the UK are going for second-hand or pre-owned mobile phones. We will include the reasons behind this boom in the second-hand phone market in the UK and why people are buying used phones later in this article.
Do you have the latest smartphone? Can you afford a brand new or latest smartphone? These are the two questions that everyone should ask from themselves before upgrading their device. By looking at living conditions in the UK it can be deduced that people are now smart and they are aware of prioritizing their needs. Back in early 2000s, when smartphones came into existence, people went gaga over buying the latest models in the market as soon as they were launched. But as the time passed, people became more aware of the high prices of the latest smartphones.
Below, there are some of the reasons behind the boom of second-hand phone market in the UK:
1. High prices of new smart phones:
Apple has the biggest market share in the UK, when it comes to the smartphone industry. People are buying Apple devices as they are user friendly andmuch more. But these days, the phones that Apple is launching are too expensive to be bought by rational consumers. The biggest example that we can take here is that; back in 2007 when iPhone 1 was launched, the launching price of that smartphone was £499. Contrary to this, the latest iPhone XS and XS Max’s launching prices were £999 and £1,099 respectively.
You can see 100% raise in the launching price of iPhone in just 11 years. This raise in the launching price has awakened the people, and they are now prioritizing their needs. Buying an iPhone worth more than a thousand pounds sterling is not observed as an intelligent decision by people.
This is the most important reason that has encouraged the people to buy used phones.
2. Less innovation in new smartphones:
Apple is launching new phones every year, but these phones aren’t worth it if we look at the innovation aspect. No doubt that Apple provided us with some innovation last year with the infinity display of iPhone X, but other than that, iPhone X had almost the same features as iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
Let us provide you with a simple comparison between the features of iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X and the latest iPhone XS;
- Colour Scheme: The colour scheme of iPhones have been consistent since iPhone 5S. iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X and iPhone XS all come in silver, space grey and gold colours. So, we are still waiting for some fun colours to be added by Apple to their iPhones rather than these three colours.
- LCD: LCD is one of the biggest factors why iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X are different. Yes, that is one of the innovation that iPhone provided its users with. iPhone 8 Plus have 5.5” retina HD display while iPhone X has 5.8” super retina HD display.
Apple did that right! But if, on the other hand, we compare the LCD’s of iPhone X and XS, they both are same and the price difference between these two is huge.
- Camera: The rear cameras of all these devices are same i.e. Dual 12MP wide-angle and telephoto cameras. So why should people buy iPhone XS when it has the same camera as iPhone 8?
The front camera of all these models is also the same i.e. 7MP TrueDepth camera.
- Security: iPhone 8 plus has the touch id (fingerprint sensor) through which you can unlock your iPhone from your finger prints. Apple introduced the feature of face recognition in iPhone X but unfortunately this overly hyped feature failed to work and impress the people even at the launch of iPhone X last year.
Although, Apple has improved this feature in iPhone XS. But this feature hadn’t had much of an impact on people in the UK, as they can easily and quickly unlock their phones with their fingers as compared to the failed attempts to unlock their device with their faces.
- Water Resistance: Well when apple introduced the feature of water resistance in iPhone 7; that was a big innovation indeed! After that in iPhone 8, iPhone X and iPhone XS Apple has given the same feature, the only difference is that iPhone 8 and iPhone X are water resistant up to 1m depth for 30 minutes, while iPhone XS is water resistant up to 2m depth for 30 minutes.
That is a difference of 1m depth but unfortunately that’s not an innovation by Apple.
- Charging: All of the three devices have the same mode of charging. Although the battery life is made better by Apple in each of these models.
- Dual SIM: introducing dual SIM compatible iPhone XS was not an innovation at all. There are many other mobile phone companies that offered dual SIM feature way before it was launched in iPhone XS.
We can see from this brief comparison that the most popular phone in the UK “iPhone” is offering as such no great innovation for the people in its latest models. And on the other hand the prices of the latest models of iPhone are even crossing thousand pound sterling. So, this is clear that one can easily purchase a second hand iPhone 8 plus or even an iPhone 7 plus at much lower price than the latest one and can enjoy the same features.
Not only Apple, the other major competitors i.e. Samsung, Huawei, etc. are also doing the same thing every year. People these days in the UK are much intelligent and smart, and they are surely smarter than these latest smartphones. That is the major reason that people are opting for less costly second hand phones these days in the UK.
3. Expensive accessories and parts:
Yes, the accessories for the latest phones are also very expensive. Let it be the phone’s cover, or a compatible charger, etc. The accessories of the expensive latest models of mobile phones are also very expensive. So it’s not just a one-time expense for buying the latest model, the list of expenses for that expensive phone goes on. Contrary to this, the accessories of the older models are comparatively cheaper and affordable.
There are many devices which help the users in using a smartphone these days. One such device is a smart watch. Smart watch helps people in various ways and it has made lives of the people easier. People want to buy these watches, but if they spend their whole month’s salary on the expensive latest smartphone, how would they afford a smart watch then? As discussed previously, people these days are smarter when taking such decisions. People in the UK are buying cheaper second hand phones, so that they can afford the other helping devices as well with their smartphones while being in their limited yet smart budget.
With all of this, the repairing costs of the latest models are also too high. As smartphones are becoming popular, people are taking less care of their phones. That is why every other person we know has a phone with a broken LCD. The parts and the repairing costs of the latest models are very expensive as compared to the parts of the older models. So, people in UK are going for second hand phones to afford the repair prices if they accidentally break their phone, as they can reliably be delivered by a domestic or international courier service.
Discussed above are some of the major reasons that people these days are giving more attention to buy used phones rather than going for the latest models. We at AlphaSmartPhones, also think that buying a used phone is an intelligent decision. The statistics of sales of the best-selling phone in the UK “iPhone” clearly shows a downfall in the recent years. The growth rate in the purchase of iPhones was steady from 2011 to 2014, i.e. approx. 15% each year. But it raised to approx.18% when iPhone 6s was launched, as people in the UK saw the innovation in that phone, but after that the growth in purchase of iPhone in the UK fell drastically, and in 2017 the growth rate surprisingly fell to a mere 2.7%.
These statistics act as a proof that people are not buying the latest smartphones now. The major reasons behind this decision by people in the UK are discussed briefly in this article.
Visit Alpha SmartPhones today to get the best deals to buy used phones in the UK!